Emerald Water Anglers is Green
As a fly fishing outfitter, to say we rely heavily on the environment for our livelihood would be an understatement. Not only do we rely on it but we also cherish the idea of introducing our clients to pristine areas where they can enjoy and surround themselves with fresh air and clean water.
The state of our environment and our day to day impact on it and the rest of the world is of great interest to us. From managing our fisheries with regards to native and wild species for future generations to our business' carbon foot print, it all matters and we are taking steps to reduce that in the following ways.
Please join us in our efforts as our fisheries and their residents deserve our collective care in every way. By October 15th, 2009 all of these will be in full swing here at Emerald Water Anglers.
Other companies by our side in these efforts include:
Recycled Waders -- Repurposing waders into new useable products
Fly Vines -- Repurposing fly fishing lines into new products
Patagonia -- Nearly 100% of products will be made of organic or recycled materials
Green Tackle Fly Shop -- Selling only eco friendly products
Loon Outdoors -- Environmentally friendly and non-toxic fly angling product line
-- Paper Products --
Obviously paper is derived from trees and the demand for paper and wood products continues to grow while the supply does not. Our regional fisheries have suffered greatly in part to careless timber practices of the past 100 years and while this isn't the only or the biggest culprit to the situation, it is a major one. Here is how we are making a difference.
1. All credit card receipts, EWA bank statements and trip information are now electronically based.
2. Gift Certificates are available electronically
3. Business cards and brochures are printed on 100% recycled paper products
4. All business card and brohcure print will be done using soy based inks
5. Cloth napkins and towels are now used for our lunches, no paper towels
6. All EWA school and class manuals (100+ pages) are now electronic
7. All staff uses reusable coffee mugs, remember, every little bit helps
8. All staff uses dry erase boards for phone messages instead of paper
9. All staff uses reusable garbage bags for litter control and for lunch waste
-- Plastic Products --
Plastics are in so many facets of our lives and many of their uses are quite valuable to our society, however, many are not. Water bottles, plates and eating utensils and plastic bags are all easily replaced with reusable products and not only create less waste but also create less litter along our roads and waterways. We believe we can make a huge difference in how much we bring into the world by taking the following measures.
1. All staff are or will soon be using Pura water bottles for client water use and are sanitized each day. These are light weight and clipable to belts and waders.
2. Each guide now has a 3 gallon water container to provide water from the boat or the car to fill our reusable water bottle.
3. Staff uses reusable containers for lunch products as much as possible.
4. Staff provides quality washable plates and silverware for lunches, sanitized every day.
5. We shop with reusable bags, not requiring plastic or paper options at the store.
6. We now have in office a media technology recycle bin where we can recycled everything from electric chords and cell phones to dvd's and cd's as well as their cases. Do this at your home or business, learn more here: Green Disk
7. We make every attempt to email high res images but when in mass, we will mail them in 100% post consumer recycled clam shell cases.
-- Other Products, Programs and Policies--
There is always more that can be done, here are a few other programs and ideas we participate in as a company.
1. All old waders and boot are recycled with Recycled Waders or given to a program for reconstruction and reuse.
2. We make every effort to pick up trash at our local fisheries and regularly participate in clean-up and restoration efforts spear headed by other organizations in our region.